Thursday, March 01, 2012

DVD REVIEW: POUND OF FLESH (2010)


It's funny that I should receive this film to review right as I start a new semester. That being said POUND OF FLESH is essentially a story of one man's quest to make people happy. Noah (Malcolm McDowell) is a college Shakespearean professor who also runs a side business with some of his female students. In order to gain enough money for school these girls are "pimped" out by Noah to men of the faculty for large sums of money. But things go awry when a girl ends up dead and a gritty ex-cop (Angus Macfayden) is assigned to the case.

What initially pulled me to this movie was Malcolm McDowell. Honestly, who doesn't like him?  This movie was actually a lot more serious than I had anticipated and I was pleasantly surprised by a decent story line. It's nice to see older horror stars still doing decent movies unlike some (Savini I'm looking at you). I also enjoyed the constant Shakespeare references – even the title is one. The whole story itself seemed like it could have been a modernized Shakespearean work.

Though I enjoyed this movie I do have one or two complaints. First, I really couldn't stand the cinematography. It was very awkward and jittery. At times, when the girls were having a pool side chat it seemed like they were being filmed by a stalker who didn't understand auto-focus. Second, I didn't really care for the side story about the gritty ex-cop with a drinking problem. It seemed like it was just thrown in there with no rhyme or reason. We don't get enough information to make us care about him and the relation between him and the main story is paper-thin bullshit.

POUND OF FLESH was entertaining and surpassed my expectations but it could have been so much better with just minor changes to the story and production. – Jessica Hicks


POUND OF FLESH is available for purchase from Amazon.


We receive a small commission for all purchases made at Amazon through this blog. Thanks for your support!

No comments: