Monday, November 19, 2007

Wibbage: Hy Lit Dead at Age 73

Wow, two obits in a row to start off your Monday morning. How depressing.

I grew up in the Philadelphia area and had four older siblings ranging from 6 years to 20 years my senior. So I got exposed to a lot of hand-me-down pop culture that other kids my age were not getting a dose of.

While my adolescent years were spent listening to a lot of Wee Willie Webber and Ken Garland on 610 AM WIP (now an all-sports talk station), I can still remember my sister having compilation LPs featuring Hy Lit on the cover. Lit, like Jerry Blavat, was a Philly radio staple, and he bounced from station-to-station in the city. His nighttime show on WIBG, or "Wibbage", was said to draw 3/4 of the listening audience during its heyday in the 1960s.

Lit was admitted to the hospital on November 4 for a procedure following a knee injury and died Saturday from what his son termed "bizarre complications."

No comments: