Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I Call Her Mako... Like the Shark


Some actors have an uncanny ability (or is it a curse?) to morph into the roles they become best known for... Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney and Jack Nicholson are just a few of the great actors who have blurred the lines between their real and reel life personas.

Maybe the best example in recent memory, though, is Wooderson, er, Matthew McConaughey. To me, McConaughey IS Wooderson, his overgrown adolescent in Richard Linklater's DAZED & CONFUSED. And not just because it's the best performance of an underachieving career. (Okay, so he's good in Bill Paxton's FRAILTY but can you name another "good" McConaughey performance? THE WEDDING PLANNER? )

No, it's because of things like this... McConaughey is auctioning his 1971 Corvette Stingray on eBay for charity. Best of all, though, the auction comes complete with a goofball, rambling description in which Wooderson drops the letter "g" from the ends of words ("Back in 98 I went to a California car show and was lookin at gettin a 1962 Vette...") and waxes poetic about long, late-night drives.

But my favorite part is easily this line: "I call her Mako...like the shark."

I'm glad he clarified that... I thought he called it Mako after the incredibly reliable Japanese character actor.

No comments: