Monday, June 12, 2006

'Mats Publicity Machine Kicks Into Overdrive


Imagine my surprise when I opened up a copy of Newsweek in the car yesterday and found an interview with the one and only Paul Westerberg, lead singer of The Replacements. Apparently, the publicity machine surrounding tomorrow's release of Don't You Know Who I Think I Was has kicked into overdrive.

In addition to the Newsweek piece, I've heard that Rolling Stone gave the "best of" compilation a rare five-star rating (look for the issue with the Red Hot Chili Peppers on the cover), the new Entertainment Weekly features an A- review (and I'd be willing to bet it ends up on their Must List in the next issue or two as somebody at the mag has a major band crush on the boys), and CNN.com ran a piece on the 'Mats and The Bangles.

On top of all that, while at the theater this weekend to see CARS with my niece and nephews I saw the trailer for OPEN SEASON, this fall's animated feature which features new tunes by Westerberg.

Wow... it would've been nice if the band had received half as much recognition back in the day.

2 comments:

Synd-e said...

You can stream the entire album on AOL Music right now!

http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds?icid=mon:dl3

Of course, it's the two new songs that most y'all will be interested in. I love love love "Message to the Boys" - it is now officially my Summer 2006 Anthem.

And yeah, I'm going to buy the CD even though I have the songs in at least two other formats...

Dan said...

I'll be buying it as well along with the long-awaited DVD for CEMETERY MAN. Best Buy, here I come...