Wednesday, October 22, 2008

31 DAYS OF FRIGHT: Chatting with Fright Fan Richard Christy

As a longtime fan of The Howard Stern Show on both regular radio and Sirius satellite radio one of my favorite additions to the show has been writer and performer Richard Christy. From his song parodies and phony phone calls with Sal the Stockbroker to his father's phone messages, Christy rarely fails to bring a smile to my face. But given the nature of this blog it should come as no surprise that I've always enjoyed his tales of haunted houses, horror movie reviews, and pumpkin-related products. Christy was nice enough to take time out of his schedule to answer a few questions about his love for Halloween, horror movies, haunted houses and pumpkin beer. For more on Christy as well as upcoming gigs from the Killers of Comedy check out RichardChristy.com.

You seem to love everything about Halloween... the movies, the attractions, the pumpkin beer. How did you get to be such a huge Halloween lover?
I've always loved horror movies and Halloween since I was a kid and now that I can actually afford to travel to haunted houses I do a lot more stuff than I was able to do as a kid and teenager.

What was your favorite Halloween costume that you ever wore?
Last Halloween Brian Spears and Pete Gerner from G&S Effects in upstate New York did a zombie makeup on my girlfriend and I that was incredible! We watched EVIL DEAD while they did my makeup for a couple hours, it was a really fun day and the makeup turned out amazing! You can see pictures on my Myspace Page.

I know you love slasher movies and John Carpenter flicks... what would be your ultimate Halloween horror double feature and why?
The original HALLOWEEN and HALLOWEEN 3: SEASON OF THE WITCH. They are the perfect movies to watch on Halloween day and perfectly capture the spirit and scariness of Halloween!

How is the pumpkin beer selection this year... do you have any favorites you'd like to recommend?
My favorite is Smuttynose Pumpkin, it tastes different than most other pumpkin beers and tastes stronger than the others to me, I also love Post Road and Dogfish Head Pumpkin Beers, they're delicious!

You've traveled all over the country to visit haunted attractions... why do you think they appeal to people?
To me a haunted attraction is like walking into a real life horror movie, it's thrilling and safe at the same time. To me it's the most exciting thing to do to celebrate the Halloween season.

What's the best haunted attraction you've ever visited? What's the scariest?
My favorite Haunted Attraction is called The Edge of Hell in Kansas City, MO. One of the reason I love it is because I used to hear about it on the radio in Kansas when I was a little kid but I never go to go there, now when I go it reminds me of the excitement I used to have when I would hear radio commercials around Halloween when I was a little kid. It's been around since the 1970's and it is a prime example of how scary a haunted house can be. It's one of the only ones that makes me jump and shout with fear!

If you could play any monster or maniac in a movie, which one would it be?
I would love to play Michael Myers. To me he is the scariest movie maniac ever because in the first movie he was so mysterious and at the end of the movie you find out that he's possibly supernatural because he survives six gunshots and disappears.

As an accomplished musician and music lover what's your favorite horror film soundtrack? What makes it so great?
Anything by John Carpenter. The original HALLOWEEN is probably my favorite, it's so simple yet so perfect and captures the atmosphere of the movie perfectly.

Halloween or Christmas... which is your favorite?
Definitely Halloween, I love Christmas too but I get way more bummed when Halloween is over.

No comments: