Friday, July 20, 2007

Dante's Inferno: 7/20/07

Was reading old pal Aj Michel's terrific Syndicate Product blog this morning, including her piece on a particularly great shuffle produced by her MP3 player (Zen, I believe). I commented that I swear sometimes my iTunes shuffle knows what kind of mood I'm in and picks tunes out based on how hard and fast I'm typing, how quickly I'm jumping from site to site, etc.

A few songs into this morning's playlist I realized that my shuffle and I were in almost perfect harmony. Since firing it up earlier this morning – no live Stern show on Fridays so I almost always go for the shuffle to start my day – my playlist has featured Paul Westerberg, Joan Jett (with Paul Westerberg), T Rex, Descendents, Dictators, Marvelous 3, a cover of The Replacements' "Little Mascara" by The Draft, Afghan Whigs (whose career-spanning best of is available now), All, Too Much Joy, ABC, Jawbreaker (covering Joan Jett), the late but great Philly band The Stuntmen, and Screeching Weasel.

Considering I have 7600 songs programmed into my iTunes (that's 17+ days worth of music) that's an impressive lineup and one I would've been proud to serve up to my listeners were I still on the radio today.

Other quick hit news of note on this Friday morning...

Now that Stuart Gordon's FROM BEYOND is headed to DVD, Fred Dekker's NIGHT OF THE CREEPS tops my DVD Wish List. Fans of Dekker's THE MONSTER SQUAD have gotten their wish with a new 20th Anniversary Edition that's not so much reviewed as drooled over here. Frankly, I never got MONSTER SQUAD, but I have no undying love for the Universal monsters it celebrates.

I imagine that if you had any significant interest in Tim Lucas' massive, long-awaited Mario Bava book you probably have already ordered it. If somehow the 800,000 word (no, that's not a typo, all those zeros belong there) book has flown under your radar, act fast. Lucas recently announced that upon receipt of the shipment of books getting ready to leave Hong Kong the book's price would more than double in price from $120 to $250.

The release of The Dark Knight. Christopher Nolan's follow-up to the phenomenal Batman Begins is currently shooting in Chicago. I have reached the point where I no longer want to know anything more about the film, which stars Christian Bale as The Caped Crusader and Heath Ledger as what promises to be a darker, sinister Clown Prince of Crime, The Joker. (Translation: No dancing to Prince songs.) If you want to keep up-to-date on TDK-related news, point your browser to the great Batman On Film site, the definitive clearinghouse for news, rumors, video, inside info and more.

No comments: