Thursday, October 09, 2008

31 DAYS OF FRIGHT: You Got Pumpkin in My Beer!

Once the calendar flips from September to October and the morning air starts to get that crisp feel my mind turns, naturally, to thoughts of Halloween as well as Ginger Snaps (the cookies, not the she-wolf horror franchise) and Einstein Bros. Pumpkin Bagels. But not necessarily in that order.

One thing I've never acquired much taste for, though, is pumpkin beer. Frankly, I don't like flavored beers of any kind and the pumpkin variety is usually too spicy or too perfumey for my taste.

But I may be in the minority when it comes to the topic of sharing my beer glass with pumpkin pie mix. The category has grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade, moving from a craft beer concept to something that macro brewers like Coors (which makes Blue Moon's Harvest Moon seasonal variety) have not only embraced but seem to be dominating.

If you're looking for the right pumpkin ale to serve for your Halloween horrorthon check out a handful of reviews from the fine folks at Bloody Good Horror or visit Beer Advocate for detailed analysis of nearly 200 varieties!

Just set a Natty Boh aside for me.

No comments: