Tuesday, January 02, 2007

LIFEFORCE Soundtrack CD


I may be one of the few people that can say, "I was just thinking about LIFEFORCE yesterday" and honestly mean it. Back when Tobe Hooper's crazoid big screen adaptation of 'Space Vampires' was released I was working in the marketing department of a major drug company. My boss and I had taken the train from Philly to Baltimore for some focus groups and I'd brought along some reading material -- namely an issue of FANGORIA with lots of pages devoted to Hooper's flick, which I couldn't wait to see when I got back to Philly later that night.

As I drove through Baltimore yesterday afternoon my brain immediately took me back to that summer afternoon sitting on the wooden benches of Penn Station, flipping through the pages of FANGO and chomping at the bit to see LIFEFORCE.

And I wasn't disappointed. Say what you will about the flick, but I've always dug the hell out of it. What's not to love about a sci-fi zombie vampire film featuring a mostly nude babe walking the streets of London, which just happens to be teetering on the brink of an apocalyptic meltdown?

So you could've knocked me over with a feather when I was reading SciFi Channel's latest newsletter and saw this review of the double-CD soundtrack for LIFEFORCE featuring the original score by Henry Mancini as well as the revised score from Michael Kamen.

Though I take umbrage at the suggestion that the music is probably better than the film deserved, kudos to the author for summing the flick up as being "completely whacka-ding-hoy." I don't exactly know what that means, but I'm pretty certain to dig any flick that can be described as such.

Buy the Limited Edition 2-Disc Set at amazon.com.

No comments: