Friday, January 19, 2007

Celebrate Poe's Birthday with Gordon and Combs


Although I have Showtime I haven't been watching their 'Masters of Horror' show as often as I should. First off, I know that every episode will be out on DVD soon after the new season wraps up (see the ER site for Louis Fowler's continuing reviews of the first season discs). Second, I haven't been all that super impressed with the episodes that I have seen.

But that won't stop me from watching tonight's episode. Or at least setting my DVR for it. Tonight's installment, an adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Black Cat', is particularly timely, given that it's the 198th anniversary of the author's birth. To top things off, the episode is directed by the great Stuart Gordon (RE-ANIMATOR, FROM BEYOND, 'nuff said) and stars Jeffrey Combs as Poe. (If I have to provide any of Combs' genre credits I'm not sure why you're reading this blog.)

Combs joins the great Klaus Kinski as one of my favorite actors to portray the tortured, tormented and brilliant author, whose body just happens to be buried here in Baltimore. Kinski appears as Poe in Antonio Margheritti's WEB OF THE SPIDER.

No comments: