Friday, March 10, 2006

If You're Lying, I'll Be Back

Ah, the good and the bad of purchasing things on-line reared their ugly heads this week. My "too good to be true" purchase of the Klaus Kinski/Werner Herzog box set turned out to be just that. The buyer I purchased it from (see horrifying feedback here) seemed completely honest and reliable when I purchased the item back on 2/15. Since then they've racked up a whopping 42 negatives with lots of angry buyers. As long as I get my $40 back I don't care. Just goes to show you that no matter how long you've been doing this you can still get bit on the arse.

But things turned around nicely when I went to the mailbox this afternoon and found my new, sealed copy of the director's cut of THE EXTERMINATOR, possibly the greatest 80s vigilante film ever made. I'll be reviewing this in depth soon, but to say that this is one of my all-time favorite exploitation flicks is an understatement of whopping proportions. Can't wait to crack the seal and settle in for a little Ginty.

Won't be doing it tonight, though, as SMILE HON YOU'RE IN BALTIMORE editor WP Tandy and I will be trucking down to Washington, DC's 9:30 Club to see the one and only Pogues. This gig was originally supposed to be their first US date in nearly a decade, but it sold out so quickly that they added a show last night. I took a look at the comments on the band's message board and it seems like lots of rave reviews, so if Shane McGowan recovers from whatever liquor-fueled coma he's in it should be an interesting show. I've never seen the band perform before but I dig 'em. Who knows, maybe we'll bump in to Baltimore mayor, Maryland gubernatorial candidate, musician and Pogues fan Martin O'Malley.

No comments: