Saturday, February 25, 2006

Welcome to The ER Blog

Exploitation Retrospect: The Journal of Junk Culture and Fringe Media has been around in one form or another since the mid-1980s when it began as a drive-in movie newsletter. After about 40 issues as a mostly exploitation and junk cinema zine, ER began addressing such weighty topics as Atari games, punk rock, pulp novels and other topics that pretty much pissed off a large portion of our movie-loving readership.

A few issues later I decided to throw in the towel and end the print version of the zine since I had just launched a web site which would eventually house all the reviews and articles written for the zine.

Not wanting to see ER die such a fate, longtime friends and Carbon 14 publishers Larry Kay and Leslie Goldman stepped in and offered ER a home inside their mag's pages for as long as I saw fit. That lasted for another 7 issues and after a nice round 50 installments and 14 (yep, 14) years of zine-ing I called it quits.

Of course, during those last years of ER I'd also launched a zine called The Hungover Gourmet: The Journal of Food, Drink, Travel and Fun which began as a column in, you guessed it, the pages of ER.

Anyway, to make a very long story somewhat shorter, the ER blog is something that's long overdue. Time constraints prevent me from updating the site as often as I wish and some topics just don't lend themselves to the site's more long-form setup.

Enter this blog. Here I'll offer up CD, movie and TV reviews, news of note, articles I've written for other publications, etc. I'll also use it to let you know when something brand new has been posted at the site.

So, sit back and enjoy, and as the man says, "Pain is temporary, film is forever."

No comments: