Saturday, August 18, 2007

NIGHTMARE USA Arrives, Give Me Hernia

While a number of my Eurotrash pals have been salivating for months over the prospect of holding Tim Lucas's Mario Bava book in their hot little hands, another film tome has been high on my wish list. Stephen Thrower's NIGHTMARE USA: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE EXPLOITATION INDEPENDENTS (Fab Press) arrived yesterday and immediately gave me a hernia.

Clocking it an impressive 528 pages, this massive, lavishly-illustrated hardcover looks at the horror writers, directors, producers and actors who weren't exactly household names, yet their films probably flew off the shelves of most mom and pop video stores faster than those big budget releases.

I can't wait to dive into this overview of 1970 to 1985 indie horror, sleaze and exploitation cinema. Frankly, I don't think I've been this excited about acquiring a trash film book since I spent months tracking down Chas. Balun's DEEP RED HORROR HANDBOOK back in the days before the internet made getting this stuff way too easy.

Reday for some heavy lifting? Pop over to Amazon and order your own copy of NIGHTMARE USA.

No comments: